JAMES KIMBRELL, Professor, Ph.D., University of Missouri-Columbia, MFA, University of Virginia, M.A., Center for Writers at the University of Southern Mississippi, specializes in poetry. He has been the recipient of the Whiting Writer's Award, the Ruth Lilly Fellowship, the "Discovery"/The Nation Award, a Ford Foundation Fellowship, and has twice received the Academy of American Poets Prize. Recent poems, reviews and translations have appeared in magazines and anthologies such as Poetry, Field, Fence, The Nation, Prairie Schooner, The Boston Book Review, American Poetry: The Next Generation (Carnegie Mellon University Press) and The Bread Loaf Anthology of New American Poets (University Press of New England). He recently received a National Endowment for the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship in poetry.
- Smote, Sarabande Books, 2015.
- My Psychic, Sarabande Books, 2006.
- Three Poets of Modern Korea: Yi Sang, Hahm Dong-Seon and Choi Young-Mi, a collection of translations from the Korean with Jung-Yul Yu, Sarabande Books, 2002.
- The Gatehouse Heaven, Sarabande Books, 1998.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- National Endowment for the Arts Individual Fellowship in Literature (Poetry), 2005.
- American Literary Translators Association Award finalist for Three Poets of Modern
Korea: Yi Sang, Hahm Dong-Seon, and Choi Young-Mi (with Yu Jung-Yul), 2004.
- Florida Arts Council Individual Artist's Grant awarded Florida Arts Council and the Florida Department of State, 2003.
- Walter E. Dakin Fellowship from the Sewanee Writers' Conference , 2000.
- Norma Farber First Book Award, runner-up, awarded by Poetry Society of America for a debut volume of poems, The Gatehouse Heaven. (Judge: Naomi Shihab Nye), 1999.
- Great Lakes Colleges Association New Writers Award, runner-up, for a debut volume of poems, The Gatehouse Heaven, 1999.
- Whiting Writers' Award from the Mrs. Giles Whiting Foundation, 1998.
- Mahan Poetry Prize from the University of Missouri, Columbia (Judge: Carl Phillips), 1997.
- Bess Hokin Prize awarded by Poetry magazine and the Dana Hokin Foundation, 1997.
- Kathryn A. Morton Prize awarded by Sarabande Books for a volume of poetry, The Gatehouse Heaven, (Judge: Charles Wright) 1997.
- Academy of American Poets Prize awarded at the University of Missouri, Columbia (judge: Anthony Hecht), 1997.
- The "Discovery" / The Nation Award presented by The Nation and the Unterberg Poetry Center at the 92nd Street YMHA, 1997.
- Academy of American Poets Prize awarded at the University of Missouri, Columbia (judge: Mark Strand), 1996.
- Bread Loaf Writer's Conference: Work-Study Scholar, 1993.
- Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowship awarded by Ruth Lilly, The American Council for the Arts and Poetry magazine, 1993.
- Henry Hoynes Fellowship awarded for graduate studies in Creative Writing (Poetry) at the University of Virginia, 1992.
- Ford Foundation Fellowship awarded for research and team-teaching of Philosophy of Religion and Introduction to Religious Studies at Millsaps College, 1988.