S. E. GONTARSKI, Robert O. Lawton Distinguished Professor of English, Ph.D., Ohio State (1974): specializes in twentieth-century Irish Studies, in British, U.S., and European Modernism, and in performance theory. He has been awarded four National Endowment for the Humanities research grants, has twice been awarded Fulbright Professorships, has been Guest Editor of the following: American Book Review, The Review of Contemporary Fiction, and Modern Fiction Studies and most recently Drammaturgia. He is also General Editor of two book series: 1) "Crosscurrents: Comparative Studies in European Literature and Philosophy" with the University Press of Florida and 2) "Anthem Studies in Theatre and Performance" with Anthem Press, London He edited the Journal of Beckett Studies from 1989-2008, and currently serves as Co-Editor with its publication by Edinburgh University Press.
- Understanding Bergson, Understanding Modernism. Ed. with Paul Ardoin and Laci Mattison. New York and London: Bloomsbury Books, 2013.
- On Beckett: Essays and Criticism. Second, revised edition, ed. and with an Introduction by S. E. Gontarski. London: Anthem Press, 2013.
- The Beckett Critical Reader: Archives, Theories, and Translations. Ed. and with an Introduction by S. E. Gontarski. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2012.
- Un tram che si chiama desiderio / A Streetcar Named Desire. Canone teatrale europeo / Canon of European Drama. No. 7. A cura di / edited by S. E. Gontarski. (Serie diretta da Anna Barsotti e Annamaria Cascetta.) Pisa, Italia: Editioni ETS, 2012.
- A Companion To Samuel Beckett Wiley/Blackwell, 2010.[Full text] [Review by Kim Chandler]
- Transnational Beckett ed. with William J. Cloonan, Alec Hargreaves, and Dustin Anderson. Journal of Beckett Studies Books, 2008.
- Beckett after Beckett (ed. with Anthony Uhlmann), University Press of
[Review by Tim Parks][Review by Robert M. Kirschen]
- The Faber Companion to Samuel Beckett: A Reader's Guide to His Life, Works, and Thought (with C. J. Ackerly), Faber and Faber, 2006.
- The Grove Companion to Samuel Beckett: A Reader's Guide to His Life, Works, and Thought (with C. J. Ackerley), Grove Press, 2004. [Full text of book.]
- Beckett in Scena: Interpretazioni Memorabili nel Mondo (Drammaturgia 9), a cura di S. E. Gontarski e Annamaria Cascetta (Roma: Salerno Editrice, 2002).
- The Grove Press Reader, 1951-2001, Grove Press, 2001.
with Grove Press author Hubert Selby, Jr., full text.]
[Review by Laura G Carter.]
[Full text of book.]
- Modernism, Censorship and the Politics of Publishing, Hanes Foundation,
Rare Book Collection, University Library, The University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill, 2000.
- The Theatrical Notebooks of Samuel Beckett, Volume IV: The Shorter Plays,
Grove Press (U. S.) and Faber and Faber (U.K.) 1999. [Review
by Fintan O'Toole]
- Samuel Beckett: The Complete Short Prose, 1928-1989, Grove Press, 1996.
[The Readers' Subscription featured selection, 1996-7; and New York Times
Book Review "New and Noteworthy Paperbacks"]. [Review by John Banville] [Review by Michiko Katutani]
- The Beckett Studies Reader, University Presses of Florida, 1993. [Review
by Melvin J. Freidman][Full text of book.]
- The Theatrical Notebooks of Samuel Beckett, Volume II: Endgame, Grove
Press (U. S.) and Faber and Faber (U.K.) 1993. ["Notable Books of the Year:
1993," New York Times Book Review] [Review by Mel Gussow]
- On Beckett: Essays and Criticism, Grove Press, 1986.
- The Intent of Undoing in Samuel Beckett's Dramatic Texts, Indiana UP, 1985.
- Samuel Beckett: Humanistic Perspectives, Ohio State University Press,
1983. [Finalist for the 1983 Barnard Hewitt Award for outstanding research
in theater history.][Full text of book.]
- Beckett's "Happy Days": A Manuscript Study, Ohio State University Library Press, 1977.
ESSAYS AND INTERVIEWS
- "Revising Himself: Performance as Text in Samuel Beckett's Theatre," Journal
of Modern Literature, XXII, 1 (Fall 1998). [Full Text]
- "Editing Beckett," Twentieth Century Literature, 1995. [Finalist, the
Andrew J. Kappel Award in Literary Criticism, 1995, at Twentieth Century
- "Film and Formal Integrity," Samuel Beckett: Humanistic Perspectives, 1986. [Full Text]
- "Last Exit to Brooklyn: An Interview with Hubert Selby," The Review of Contemporary Fiction 10.3 (fall 1990): 111-115. [Full Text]
- NPR Profile of Grove Press Publisher Barney Rosset [download mp3 file]
- Lawton Lecture
- [Lawton Interview]
- "There Is No outside The Image: Bergson on Movement, Multiplicity, and Representation." 11 June 2010 [Listen Here]
- "The Theater is always Dying," Drammaturgia "Saggi," 14 February 2011 [Full Text]
- Interview for "Metropolis" on RTS (Radio Television Serbia) 2 June 2011 (final few minutes of the show). [Watch Here]
FELLOWSHIPS AND VISITING APPOINTMENTS
- Visiting Professor, University of California, Riverside, 1982-83
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow, 1983-84
- Research Associate, University of California, Riverside, 1983-84
- Senior Fulbright Professor, Australia, New Zealand, 1984-85
- Artist-in-Residence, Djerassi Foundation, 1986
- Distinguished Visiting Professor of Comparative Literature and Classics, California State University-Long Beach, 1987-88
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow, 1993-94
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, Samuel Beckett Centre for Drama and Theatre Studies and the School of English, University of Dublin, Trinity College, 1994
- William Evans Professor, School of Humanities, University of Otago, Dunedid, New Zealand, 1994
- Lansdowne Professor, Department of Theatre, University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada, 1996
- Fulbright Professor of American and Irish Studies, National University of Ireland, University College, Dublin, Ireland, 1998-9
- Resident Scholar, Rockefeller Foundation, Bellagio, Italy, 2001
- Academic Director, Florida State University London Study Center, 2005
- Research Fellow of Theoretical Studies of Theatre (Western/Comparative Theatre Studies), 21st Century COE [Center of Excellence] Institute of Theatre Research and the Tsubouchi Memorial Theatre Museum, Waseda University, Tokyo, fall of 2006
- Director, Florida State University in Ireland, 2008
- Resident Fellow, Bogliasco Foundation Liguria Study Center for the Arts and Humanities, Spring 2011